Custom Precision Clamping Type Flexible Disc Coupling Jaw Coupling Oldham Coupling with CNC Machining
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used
as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings. Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement
of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction.
Our leading mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings etc.
Main production equipments:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, etc.
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector etc.
It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer.
Q: Why choose Shengao product?
A: We have our own factory, therefore, we can surely promise the quality of product and provide
you competitive price.
Q: Do you provide OEM Service?
A: Yes, we provide OEM Service.
Q: Do you provide customized machining parts?
A: Yes. Customers give us drawings and specifications, and we will produce accordingly.
Q: What is your payment term?
A: We provide kinds of payment terms such as L/C, T/T, Paypal, Escrow, etc.
If there’s anything we can help, please feel free to contact with us.
Common Applications of Disc Couplings
Disc couplings find extensive use across various industries and applications where reliable torque transmission, misalignment compensation, and torsional stiffness are essential. Some notable examples include:
- Industrial Machinery: Disc couplings are employed in industrial equipment such as pumps, compressors, generators, and conveyors. They ensure precise torque transfer and alignment in heavy-duty machinery.
- Power Generation: Gas turbines, steam turbines, and power generators often utilize disc couplings to transmit torque between components while withstanding high rotational speeds.
- Aerospace: In aircraft and spacecraft, disc couplings help connect critical systems like engines and auxiliary power units, ensuring dependable torque transmission in demanding environments.
- Marine: Ships and offshore platforms use disc couplings to connect propulsion systems, generators, and other machinery, even in conditions with variable loads and misalignments.
- Oil and Gas: Disc couplings play a crucial role in drilling rigs, pumps, and other equipment where reliable torque transmission and misalignment compensation are vital.
- Automotive: Some automotive applications use disc couplings to connect components within drivetrains and transmissions, especially in vehicles with high-performance requirements.
These examples highlight the versatility and importance of disc couplings in various industries where precise torque transmission, misalignment handling, and torsional stiffness are critical for optimal performance.
Impact of Number and Configuration of Disc Packs on Coupling Performance
The number and configuration of disc packs in a disc coupling have a significant impact on its overall performance. Here’s how:
- Number of Disc Packs: Increasing the number of disc packs can enhance the coupling’s torque capacity and stiffness. This allows it to handle higher levels of torque while maintaining its flexibility to accommodate misalignment.
- Configuration: Different configurations, such as single-flex, double-flex, or multiple-flex, offer varying degrees of angular misalignment compensation and torsional stiffness. Single-flex configurations provide greater misalignment capacity, while double-flex configurations offer improved torsional stiffness.
Choosing the appropriate number and configuration of disc packs depends on the specific application requirements:
- Torque Transmission: Applications with high torque demands may benefit from a higher number of disc packs to ensure reliable torque transmission.
- Misalignment Compensation: Applications with moderate misalignment may opt for configurations that offer higher angular misalignment compensation.
- Torsional Stiffness: For applications where torsional stiffness is critical, a configuration with multiple-disc packs may be preferred.
- Space Limitations: Consider the available space and coupling dimensions when choosing the number and configuration of disc packs.
- Dynamic Behavior: Depending on the application’s dynamic behavior and vibration characteristics, the appropriate configuration can be selected to minimize resonances.
Ultimately, the selection of the number and configuration of disc packs in a disc coupling should be based on a thorough understanding of the application’s torque, misalignment, and stiffness requirements to optimize coupling performance and reliability.
Design of Disc Couplings for Flexibility and Performance
The design of disc couplings plays a crucial role in providing flexibility and ensuring high-performance torque transmission. Key design elements include:
- Flexibility: Disc couplings consist of multiple thin metal discs arranged in a pack. These discs have slots or cuts that create segments, allowing them to flex and accommodate misalignment. The flexing action provides flexibility in multiple directions, allowing the coupling to handle angular, parallel, and axial misalignment.
- Torsional Stiffness: While providing flexibility, disc couplings also maintain a certain degree of torsional stiffness. This stiffness ensures efficient torque transmission between the shafts and helps maintain accurate positioning in precision applications.
- Material Selection: High-quality materials with appropriate mechanical properties are used to manufacture the discs. These materials must balance flexibility, torsional stiffness, and strength. Stainless steel and other alloys are commonly chosen for their durability and resilience.
- Geometry and Slot Patterns: The design of the slots or cuts in the discs influences the coupling’s flexibility and misalignment capabilities. Engineers optimize the geometry to provide the desired levels of flexibility and torsional stiffness.
- Spacer Elements: Some disc couplings include spacer elements between the discs. These spacers contribute to accurate alignment between the shafts and help prevent edge contact between the discs, reducing wear and enhancing durability.
- Balancing: Balancing the disc coupling reduces vibration and rotational imbalance. Precision machining and balancing techniques ensure that the coupling operates smoothly at various speeds, minimizing stress on the connected machinery.
- Anti-Flailing Designs: In the event of a disc failure, anti-flailing designs prevent the discs from dislodging and causing damage to surrounding equipment or posing a safety hazard.
The combination of these design aspects results in a disc coupling that can handle misalignment, transmit torque efficiently, dampen vibrations, and maintain its performance over a wide range of operating conditions. The flexible yet robust design makes disc couplings suitable for various industrial applications.
editor by CX 2023-08-17